Posted by Kroocrew on Sunday, January 3, 2010 Under: Korea
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic cloves
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) white sugar
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) brown sugar
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) green onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 500 gm (~1 lb) steak, thinly sliced
- 4 cups glutinous or sticky white rice, cooked
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) hot water
- 350 gm (~3/4 lb) fresh spinach, washed and chopped
- 250 gm (~8 oz) cucumbers, julienned
- 250 gm )~8 oz) carrots, julienned
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 250 gm (~8 oz) fresh bean sprouts
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 sheets nori, toasted & crumbled
- 4 tablespoons sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons chili bean paste (Kochujang)
- You need to serve this with rice as part of the preparation so recommend setting this up first
- Mix the soy sauce, garlic, sugars, green onions, sesame seeds, salt, & pepper in a bowl. Add the sliced beef to the marinade and toss until the meat is well coated. Marinate it for at least 2 hours is the fridge, overnight of possible.
- You need to serve this with rice as part of the preparation so recommend setting this up at this stage.
- Preheat an oven to 220 C (425 F) degrees and place 4 earthenware eating bowls in the oven.
- Combine shiitake mushrooms and 120 ml (1/2 cup) hot water in a bowl. Allow the mushrooms to soak for 10 minutes, they should then be soft. Cut off the stems and throw use them for other recipes such as crispy mushroom condiment. Cut the caps into thin slices & set aside.
- Bring a saucepan with about 120 ml (1/2 cup) water to a boil. Add spinach to the water just long enough to wilt the leaves, under 1 minute. Drain & pat dry then set aside for later.
- Combine cucumber and carrots in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside for later.
- Preheat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook carrots and cucumbers in 1 tablespoon of sesame oil. Stir frequently until softened, about 3 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside for later.
- Add 1 tablespoon of sesame oil to the pan, and cook spinach in sesame oil for 2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside for later.
- Add the meat and all of the marinade to the wok/skillet. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. The liquid should reduce by 1/2.
- Take the stone bowls out of the oven with care.
- Coat each bowl with sesame oil then add 240 ml (1 cup) of rice into each bowl. Press the rice firmly into the bottom. The moisture will cause the rice to sizzle.
- Top each bowl of rice with the cucumbers, carrots, bean sprouts, spinach, mushrooms, & beef.
- Just before you serve the bowls, traditionally this is served with a raw egg yolk on to of each bowl a fried egg is commonly used as a topping to the bowl, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of sesame oil, and top with nori.
Serve the chillie bean paste (Kochujang) in a small bowl on the side.
To eat, simply add Kochujang to taste, then stir everything together with a soup spoon and remember the bowl is hot.
In : Korea
Tags: meat beef sesame chillie