Posted by Kroocrew on Friday, January 1, 2010 Under: India
- 240 ml (1/2 pt) Ghee OR Vegetable Oil
- 75 ml (5 Tbsp) *Garlic Puree
- 60 ml (4 Tbsp) *Ginger Puree
- 1200 ml (2 1/2 pt) *Onion Puree
- 680 gm (1 1/2 lb) Canned Tomatoes and Juices
- 90 ml (6 Tbsp) Tomato Paste
- 3 tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 60 ml (4 Tbsp) Masala Mild Curry Powder
- 2 Tbsp Paprika
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Turmeric
- Mix the Masala Mild Curry Powder, Paprika and Turmeric with water to make a paste the consistency of ketchup. Let it stand.
- Heat 5 to 6 tablespoons of oil in a 6-8 pint saucepan.
- Stir-fry the garlic puree for 30 seconds, then add the ginger pureeand cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add 5 to 6 more Mix the Masala Mild Curry Powder, Paprika and Turmeric with water to make a paste the consistency of ketchup. Let it stand. tablespoons of oil and when hot add the spice mixtureand stir-fry for another 30 seconds.
- Add the remainingoil and the onion puree and stir-fry gently for about 10 minutes.
- Puree the canned tomatoes in a blender then add with the tomato paste to the pan. Mix in welland add enough water to get a medium thick soup consistency.
- Add sugar and salt to taste.
- Simmer gently for at least 30 minutes and at most 1 hour.
- Reduce to a thick but easily pourable applesauce texture. If it starts to get too dry add a little water.
Substitute this curry gravy for the individual garlic, ginger and onion purees in many recipes. This is just a mild base to which you can add spices as required.
900 gm /2lb onions, chopped
The easiest way to do this is to put the chopped onions in a saucepan and add enough water to cover the onions. Pour of the water into another vessel and return the onions to the original bowl. Then pour the water back into the pan and use this to carry on.
Bring the pan of water to the boil, add the onions then boil for 3 minutes. Drain well.
Puree in a blender or food processor then freeze in ice cube trays or small containers. Add to dishes as required.
Any extra puree can be frozen in appropriate amounts for future use.
30-35 large cloves garlic
Peel the garlic cloves and blend them to a paste in a blender or food processor, adding just a small amount of water if necessary.
Store in an airtight container or freeze in ice cube trays. Add to dishes as required.
450g/1lb ginger root, chopped
Puree the ginger in a blender or food processor then freeze in ice cube trays. Add to dishes as required.
In : India
Tags: curry aromatic