Posted by Kroocrew on Monday, February 22, 2010 Under: Malaysian (Hawker)
Making Popiah Skins
- 1 bowl belly pork (boiled for 5 minutes, cooled and shredded finely)
- 1 bowl shelled prawns (diced)
- 1 bowl turnip (cut into 1 mm slivers)
- 1 bowl French beans (cut into 1 mm slivers)
- 1 bowl carrot (cut into 1 mm slivers)
- 1/2 bowl cabbage (cut into 1 mm slivers)
- 1 bowl firm bean curd (cut into 1 mm slivers and deep fried)
- 1 bowl bamboo shoot (cut into 1 mm slivers)
- 1/2 bowl shallots (diced finely)
- 1/4 bowl garlic (diced finely)
- 5 tablespoons oil
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- 1 teaspoon white pepper powder
- 4 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 4 large eggs (beaten, fried thinly omelette-style and cut into thin shreds)
- 1 cup bean sprouts (tailed and blanched)
- 1 cup finely shredded cucumber
- 1 cup pork loin (boiled till cooked, allow to cool and shred finely using fingers)
- Lettuce and Chinese celery
- 1 cup peanut sugar (toast peanut in wok till brown, remove peanut skin, ground it till almost fine and mix with sugar on 1 part peanut:1/2 sugar ratio)
- Sweet flour sauce (this is Beijing Duck Sauce or Beijing Noodle Sauce. NOT Hoisin Sauce)
- Chilli spread (optional. Blend red chilli with garlic. There are also many commercial varieties of this)
- Popiah skin
- Separate the following into 5 equal portions: - pork belly, prawns, shallots, garlic and cooking oil.
- Heat 1st portion of oil in wok and fry 1st portion of shallots and garlic till aromatic.
- Add pork belly and prawns and stir well for 2 minutes. Add turnips and stir till turnips slightly limp. Remove from wok and place in a big pot.
- Cook the rest of the ingredients (French beans, carrot, cabbage and bamboo shoots) one by one as described for cooking the turnips and place them in the pot.
- After the 5 main ingredients are cooked and placed in the pot, heat up the pot and add the fried bean curd. Add seasoning and mix the ingredients thoroughly. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Turn off the heat and keep the ingredients warm till required.
- To assemble the Popiah, place a piece of Popiah skin on a flat round plate.
- Spread a teaspoon of sweet flour sauce (and chilli spread if desired) in the centre of the skin and sprinkle some peanut sugar on the sauce.
- Tear a piece of lettuce and place over the peanut sugar.
- Using a tablespoon and fork, place 2 to 3 spoonfuls of filling ingredients (A) on top of the lettuce after squeezing out excess gravy.
- Arrange the ingredients like a sausage roll.
- Top with a little fried egg, bean sprouts, cucumber, pork loin and Chinese celery.
- Fold the sides, tuck in firmly then roll up tightly.
In : Malaysian (Hawker)
Tags: meat chillie celery peanut prawn pork tofu