Posted by Kroocrew on Sunday, September 19, 2010 Under: Nepal
Wrappers: (Standard frozen dumpling wrappers from your Asian food supplier may be used for this dish)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Water as required
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups assorted vegetables (potato, spinach, cauliflower, carrot, green peas, daikon, capsicum, mushroom, napa cabbage, squash and water-chestnuts), finely chopped
- 1/2 cup paneer cheese, roughly crushed
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon timur (Szechuan peppercorn)
- 1 tablespoon curry Nepali masala or any curry blend
- 3 red chillies, fresh or dried (reconstituted) minced, or as desired
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 tablespoon water-flour mixture
- Salt to taste
- For stuffing mixture, in a pan heat clarified butter; splutter fenugreek until it turns dark.
- Add chopped onions and sauté until just slightly slightly brown.
- Add masala (curry blend), garlic, ginger, and chillies. Fry for 30 sec.
- Put vegetables and stir-fry until slightly soft. Do not over stir-fry the vegetables. Season the mix with pepper and salt.
- Add cheese, green onions and cilantro, mix well. To thicken the vegetable mixture, add one tablespoon of flour-water mixture. Stir together until the contents are thick.
- Transfer the vegetable filling into a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to cool.
- In a large bowl combine flour, oil, salt and water.
- Mix well; knead until the dough becomes homogeneous in texture, about 10 minutes.
- Cover and let stand for at least 15 min.
- Knead well again before making wrappers.
- Prepare 2.5 cm (1-in) diameter dough balls. It is recommended to work with a dozen or so balls at a time to prevent drying.
- Take a dough ball, roll between your palms to make a sphere.
- Dust working board with flour. On the board gently flatten the ball with your palm. Then roll out into 3-in diameter wrapper.
- Repeat with the remaining dough balls. Cover with bowl to prevent from drying.
Moulding the dumplings:
- For packing hold wrapper on one palm, put one tablespoon of filling mixture and with the other hand bring all edges together to the center, while making pleats.
- Pinch and twist the pleats to ensure the complete sealing of the stuffed dumpling.
- Heat up a steamer, oil the steamer rack well or lay down cabbage leaves on the base of the steamer.
- Arrange the dumplings in the steamer with space between the dumplings. Close the lid, and allow steaming until the dumplings are cooked through, about 10-15 min.
- Remove the steaming tray from the heat and Take the dumplings out of the steamer.
- Alternatively, you can place uncooked dumplings directly in slightly salted boiling water and cook until done, approximately 10 minutes.
- Serve with a sauce of your choice.
In : Nepal
Tags: vegetarian chillie aromatic dairy cheese